According to historical accounts, three Canadian schools for deaf children temporarily vacated their premises during World War II (1939–1945). Under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, the Manitoba School for the Deaf in Winnipeg was the third wireless school site for the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), from February 17, 1941, to December 31, 1944. In Vancouver, British Columbia, the RCAF took over the grounds of Jericho Hill School for the Deaf, which was in proximity to the RCAF Station Jericho Beach, from early 1942 to December 1945. And the Ontario School for the Deaf (OSD) in Belleville was home to the RCAF No. 5 Initial Training School (RCAF #5 ITS) for potential aircrew from August 1, 1941, to July 15, 1944 (Figure 1). (Please note that the Ontario School for the Deaf [OSD] is currently named Sir James Whitney School for the Deaf.)
Carbin, Clifton F. and Fano, Donna J.
"Wartime Emergency and the Education of Deaf Children, 1941–1944,"
Society for American Sign Language Journal: Vol. 5:
1, Article 5.
Available at: https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/saslj/vol5/iss1/5