Date of Award

5-2011

Document Type

Thesis

Degree Name

Master of Science (MS)

Legacy Department

Historic Preservation

Advisor

Hudgins, Carter L.

Committee Member

Wilson, Ashley R.

Committee Member

Ford, Frances H.

Committee Member

Stiefel, Barry L.

Committee Member

Marks, Richard D.

Abstract

Now vacant and seldom used, St. Thomas and St. Denis Church is a small, neo-classical building constructed in 1819 to serve one of the original colonial parishes carved out of Berkeley County, South Carolina. Even though it has been included in numerous publications devoted to the history of religion in early South Carolina, this church has never been systematically recorded nor has its role been thoroughly explored. This thesis, which grew out of an effort to create a complete set of documentation drawings, explores the history of St. Thomas and St. Denis Church.

Share

COinS